When everything is digital and covid-19 gives a boost to the digital market, due to a pandemic every paperwork or normal work shifts to the technical world, hacking is Increasing by leaps and bounds, legal as well as illegal, hacking not only result in data breaches but also helps to protect data from enemies or illegal Hackers, Kali Linux is support for hackers
WHAT IS KALI LINUX?
Released On 13 March 2013. It is an open-source Debian-derived Linux distribution, designed for digital forensics and penetration testing Developed by Mati Aharoni, Devon Kearns, and Raphael Hertzog embrace the features like Free (as in beer) and always will be, More than 600 penetration testing tools, Open source Git tree, FHS compliant, Wide-ranging wireless device support, Custom kernel, patched for injection, Developed in a secure environment, GPG signed packages and repositories, Multi-language support, Completely customizable, ARMEL and ARMHF support.
The Kali for Windows application allows one to install and run the Kali Linux open-source penetration testing distribution natively, from the Windows 10 OS. Kali follows an open-source model and all the code is available on Git and allowed for tweaking any user can develop software on it the same as any other Linux OS, for white hat hackers it’s legal but for black hat hackers it is illegal.
It has proper security measures and is being constantly updated. Kali comes pre-installed with more than 300 penetration testing programs and can be installed as a primary operating system on the hard disk, live CD/USB, and can even run as a virtual machine using some virtualization software. It supports various development boards like Raspberry Pi, BeagleBone, Odroid, CuBox, etc. To use with x86 machines It supports both 32 bit and 64-bit images.
Its tools categories are Vulnerability assessment, Information gathering, Web applications, Password attacks, Exploitation tools, Sniffing and spoofing, Reporting tools, and System services. Kali Linux comprises several tools that perform wireless attacks, reverse engineering, stress testing, hardware hacking, and forensics.
Why do Hackers use Kali Linux?
Kali Linux is one of the most popular operating systems for hacking, not only the operating system but Linux like BackBox, Parrot Security operating system, BlackArch, Bugtraq, Deft Linux (Digital Evidence & Forensics Toolkit), etc. are also used by hackers. It is mainly used by hackers due to its alluring and distinctive features. It also allows hackers to operate in their native languages. kali is just a Linux OS with in-built hacking tools in it.
This Operating system can be run on Windows as well as Mac Operating systems. Kali contains several hundred tools that are geared towards various information security tasks, such as Penetration Testing, Security research, Computer Forensics, and Reverse Engineering which attracts Hackers the most. Kali Linux system is oriented toward security, it is mainly popular For The Testing Of Security Reasons On Different types of equipment and is used by both white hat and black hat hackers.
As An Adherent Of Backtrack, Kali Linux Is Even More Advanced With More Features. In A Wireless AP Kali Can Hack Many Types Of Networks Like WEP, WPA, WPA2 Security, And Many Other Forms Of Security. Not only wireless systems can be affected if we go deep into the operating system, but The Tools also Looks Like Hydra And Many Other Tools Come In The Kali Operating System. It also helps to enhance IT skills, which helps a hacker to become more professional in their field.
KALI LINUX AND HACKING
A Normal Computer User Cannot Run Kali Linux Only An Ethical Hacker Can Run Kali Linux. One of the significant features of Kaili Linux is To Hack Anyone Or Spy On Others. This Operating System Is Maximumly Used By Hackers. Hacker Called Kali Linux Paradise. Kali Linux comes packed with more than 350 tools that could be useful for hacking or penetration testing.
Top 10 Kali Linux tools used for Hacking
- Nmap: it is an open-source scanner that helps to discover hosts, ports, and services and audit security along with their versions over networks. It Supports dozens of advanced techniques, operating systems, including Linux, Microsoft Windows, FreeBSD, OpenBSD, Solaris, IRIX, Mac OS X, HP-UX, NetBSD, Sun OS, Amiga, and more are supported by it. multiple languages are available on it. The main objective of Nmap projects is to make the internet a bit more secure platform and to provide administrators/auditors/hackers with an advanced tool for exploring their networks. It is the most popular reconnaissance tool.
- Burp Suite: Burp Suite is an integrated platform for performing security testing of software and web applications and used as a proxy and all requests are passed through it and it enables to manipulate the requests as per the need and as a corollary, it seems good for testing Vulnerabilities like XSS or SQLi or any other related to web. Its Various tools work together and make work faster, more effective, and more fun. And allows the user to combine advanced manual techniques with state-of-the-art automation. Burp suite has various products, such as Spider, Proxy, Intruder, Repeater, Sequencer, Decoder, Extender, Scanner.
- Wireshark: Wireshark is the world’s foremost network protocol analyzer used to analyze or work with data sent over the networks which include data like the source IP and destination IP, the protocol used, the data, and some headers. Wireshark tool is rich with features like Live capture and offline analysis, Deep inspection of hundreds of protocols, with more being added all the time, The most powerful display filters, Standard three-pane packet browser, Runs on Windows, Linux, OS X, Solaris, FreeBSD, NetBSD, and many others, Read/write many different capture file formats, Decryption support for many protocols, including IPsec, ISAKMP, Kerberos, SNMPv3, SSL/TLS, WEP, and WPA/WPA2, Output can be exported to XML, PostScript®, CSV, or plain text and many more.
- Metasploit Framework: it is an open-source tool designed by rapid7 technologies that provide exploits for a variety of applications, operating systems, and platforms and one of the world’s most used penetration testing frameworks. Mainly it works over local networks. The main components of the Metasploit Framework are called modules. Modules are the piece of code and software that allows Metasploit to function. Total six modules are present i.e. payloads, exploits, posts, nops, encoders, and auxiliary. It is a vulnerable system that can be used as a target for attacks and security testing and runs within the framework of Kali Linux.
- aircrack-ng: Aircrack-ng is an 802.11 WEP and WPA-PSK keys cracking program that can recover keys. It is mainly used for wifi hacking. It is an all-in-one packet sniffer, WEP and WPA/WPA2 cracker, analyzing tool, and a hash capturing tool. It supports almost all the latest wireless interfaces. It implements the standard FMS attack along with some optimizations like the all-new PTW attack, thus making the attack much faster compared to other WEP cracking tools. It works with any wireless network interface controller whose driver supports raw monitoring mode and can sniff 802.11a, 802.11b, and 802.11g traffic. It helps in capturing the package and reading the hashes.
- Netcat: Netcat is also called a swiss army knife of networking tools.it is a command in Kali Linux which is used to perform port listening, port redirection, port checking, and network testing or for daemon testing too. It is also used to do the operation related to TCP, UDP, or UNIX domain sockets or to open remote connections. Netcat is one of the most powerful networking tools, security tools, or network monitoring tools. Netcat is one of the powerful networking tools, security tools, or network monitoring tools. Netcat is an extremely protean and handy program
- John the Ripper: it is an alluring tool with lots of features and extremely fast, and one of the most popular hacking tools which are used to crack hashes and passwords for compressed and zipped files. It combines several cracking modes in one program. It supports hashes like traditional DES-based, “big crypt”, BSDI extended DES-based, FreeBSD MD5-based also used on Linux and in Cisco IOS, and OpenBSD Blowfish-based now also used on some Linux distributions and supported by recent versions of Solaris. Its Pro version adds support for Windows NTLM (MD4-based) and Mac OS X 10.4+ salted SHA-1 hashes.
- sqlmap: an open best source to perform SQL injection Attacks detects and exploit the flaws and taking over of database servers. After the availability of the URL, it automatically detects the database on its own. It supports MySQL, Oracle, PostgreSQL, Microsoft SQL Server, Microsoft Access, IBM DB2, SQLite, Firebird, Sybase, and SAP MaxDB database management systems and searches for specific database names, specific tables across all databases or specific columns across all databases’ tables. It also Supports the database process’ user privilege escalation via Metasploit’s Meterpreter get system command.
- Autopsy: A digital forensics tool used to gather information from Forensics. It offers GUI access to a variety of investigative command-line tools from The Sleuth Kit. It is used by law enforcement, military, and corporate examiners to investigate what happened on a computer. It is a Recovery software to retrieve data from memory cards and pen drives. It is more compatible as compared to other forensics tools.
- Social Engineering Toolkit: An open-source penetration testing framework designed for social engineering and a collection of tools designed to perform social engineering attacks such as phishing, faking phone numbers, sending SMS, etc. Social engineering toolkit targets to perform attacking techniques on their machines. It is an amazing tool to phish the website even. This tool is used by security researchers, penetration testers all around the globe for checking cybersecurity flaws in systems.